pipeclub.gr Forum Index pipeclub.gr
Hellenic Pipe Smokers Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pipe Club Of Turkey (PCT)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
constantinipolis_smoker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Pipe Club Of Turkey (PCT) Reply with quote

Hey brothers,

I would like to give some information about PCT Pipe Club of Turkey here. The Club has established in 1995 (I guess Smile ) I was not a part of the club very first years. The club has around 2000 members, but only %10 is active. The rest just smoke and leave the rest to us.

Forum has 173 members, and I'm one of the administrators. We are arranging meetings almost every month. But unfortunately we are not able to collect more than 10 people at a time. That's why when I watch your meeting movies and photos from the meetings ı really wish to have the same thing in our club.

Eventhough we have members all around Turkey, the main cities are Ankara, Istanbul and Izmir. I'll try to attach couple of photos or links to message, maybe you'd like to see us.

I hope you'll accept PCT as your brother Club and we'll establish a long time friendship here.

One last thing; if any of the members need any information about Turkey or about any situation over there, please feel free to ask me. If any members will be visiting Istanbul, please don't forget it will be my pleasure to assist you in Istanbul.

goku
BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Cihan!
you look like a cool company at the photo, i'm sure you're enjoying your convercations and having a lot of fun.
I think that it would be nice to introduce us at first to your pipe collection, and why not, to other member's later!

Iordanis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Constantinoupolis, with some friends, 10 years ago. Everybody was so friendly, especially when they knew that we are Greek! I have the best memories from Turkish people. I am sure we will enjoy our friendship. Very Happy
Demetres

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, Cihan. Running a club is a tough one. Lot of work to do. Wish you the best.

Now, about Turkey, I have one question. Alright, it's about meers. I know that your meer carvers are the best. So, are meerschaum pipes popular in your country (I think I see one in the pic by the way)?

I really like them and thinking of buying more (have acquired only one so far). Some of the meerschaum pipes I see on the net are true masterpieces.

Smoke in Peace

"Όλα είναι ατμός" - Θρασύβουλας
constantinipolis_smoker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goku wrote:
hey Cihan!
you look like a cool company at the photo, i'm sure you're enjoying your convercations and having a lot of fun.
I think that it would be nice to introduce us at first to your pipe collection, and why not, to other member's later!

Good morning,

You're right we were having nice time together, it's quite fun to see the people you used to write at the forum. Would you like to see my collection? My pleasure, I'll post the photos during the day...

Dear Demetres,
Yeap you're right, running a club is really tough, but we're trying to do our best.
There is only one city called Eskisehir has the mines for Meers. Meerschaum pipes are so popular, but mainly they're manufacturing oriental styles with heads or dragons etc. But I don't recommend you the carved ones or any other design. As the stone (meers) is natural sometimes there would be faults. And the designer covers the faults while they're giving the design on the pipe. So, the best one is highpolish plain pipe where you can see the stone as it is.
In the picture, the guy who is smoking the meerschaum pipe is the president and the founder of the club. He is a real meerschaum lover.
Your meerschaum, where did you buy it? 'Cause I have another information for you; some manufacturers use the meers powder to make a meerschaum pipe. Because the root meers are expensive and they take the powders they compress them like a stone. But it doesn't give the same taste as the root meerschaum pipes. And they're so weak, could be breakable so easy. On my next trip to Athens, I'll try to bring with me couple of pipes to show you the difference of meershaums. And we'll have a long conversation about them.

Dear Iordanis,
Over there in Turkey we love the Greek people, we always find some common things between us. Yes there are some jerks too, but I don't even think about them. I'm sure we're gonna have good memories together too.
constantinipolis_smoker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: My Pipe Collection Reply with quote

Dear George,

I'll try to post the links of my pipe collection below, it's not a big collection but still improving. I hope you'll like them. I'm pretty sure that you have already introduced your pipe collection in the forum. I'm trying to find out what you have in the forum but generally it's not easy for me to understand. Can you send me link of the topic where you've shared your pipe collections?

Pic#1 Big-Ben "Napoleon" very light with nice grains and it has 9mm filter in it. Actually I bought this pipe from the store called Miamis on the Sydgma(I'm sorry I wrote wrong I think) Square.

http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bigbennapoleonss6.jpg

Pic#2 Bjarne "Viking Classic" is a hand made free-hand pipe from Denmark. It looks heavier than it is. Has no filter at all.

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bjrnevikingclassickw6.jpg

Pic#3 Medium Quality Dr.Plumb from GBD with a long metal filter. The briar is not good quality so if I try to smoke twice in a week I'll get so many water in it Smile

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=drplumbvw5.jpg

Pic#4 Actually there is no brand or name on it. It's a gift from Takis really good man. It's made in Ukraine, and not a briar as I can see. And inside the bowl is covered with a kind of metal. That's why I don't think this could be a good smoking pipe.

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nonamean6.jpg

Pic#5 This pipe is so valuable and important for me. Not because of the cost of it, because this is the pipe that I've started smoking almost 10 years ago. The brand is "Sahin" only briar pipe manufacturer of Turkey. Sahine has grades such as "white star, yellow star, red star, 3star,flying star and professional" The one in the picture is white star which is the lowest quality.

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shnbyzyldzmq4.jpg

Pic#6 Another "Sahin" pipe, again "white star" with metal filter. I bought this churchwarden pipe just after I saw the movie Lord Of The rings Smile

http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shnchrchwrdnhz9.jpg

Pic#7 "Sahin" brand Falcon type with 3 briar heads. This is one of my favorites but usefull during the short trips.

http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shnflcnnx0.jpg

Pic#8 "Sahin" brand "flying star" pipe is one of my favorites. High quality Algerian briar with almost no fault on it. Only negative point is the size of the bowl. It's little small for flake tobaccos. This has 9mm filter in it.

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shnkuyruklugu3.jpg

Pic#9 another "Sahin" "yellow star" eventhough it has visible faults on the briar, still one of my favorites. I have been enjoying this for the last 7-8 years. After the past years the taste became great.

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shnsaryldzaz6.jpg

Pic#10 Another "Yellow star" from "Sahin" with 9mm filter. The only negative point is the weight and the one visible big fault on the briar. I think the heavyness is the common problem of the algerian briars. It's not possible to smoke while you're walking because of the weight. But you can smoke this thick briar pipe even 2-3 times a day with no problem.

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shnsaryldz2kk8.jpg

Pic#11 Savinelli "Autograph" Grade 4 with 6mm filter. One of favorites, gives so much fun with an excellent taste.

http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?image=svnllautgrphcq7.jpg

Pic#12 Savinelli "Oscar Aries" with 9mm filter. Very light to smoke outside, big enough for flake tobaccos.

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=svnlloscarariesic0.jpg

Pic#13 Another Savinelli "Oscar" with 6mm filter, rustic finished. First couple of months, the taste was not as I was thinking. But after a year now it's giving nice taste almost like a feather weight pipe.

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=svnlloscarrusticop7.jpg

Pic#14 Savinelli "2003 Collection pipe" rustic finished with 6mm filter. Nice bent shape for an easy outdoor smoking. The bowl is large enough for every kind of tobaccos.

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snc10014ge6.jpg

Pic#15 Absolutely my favorite, Savinelli Autograph with large size, and large bowl. Eventhough it has 6mm filter in it, I prefer to use without the filter to have the great pure taste of the tobacco.

http://img393.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snc10011qf2.jpg

That's all for the moment, still have some plans to get an IL CEPPO and DUNHILL until the end of the year but still planning Smile
kodikos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cihan you have nice pipes. I wish you have 100 soon. Very Happy
Πάλι καλά.

Βιρτζινιακός, Ίσιος, Άφιλτρος.
goku
BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice collection Cihan! i'll send you a link with mine collection too.
I really like those Savinelli Autograph you have, there's something special on them! Btw Sahin looks like a very interesting pipe manufacturer! When you'll have the time, tell us a few words about him.
Good luck on finding the Dunhill you want!

Mixman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

Demetres

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

constantinipolis_smoker wrote:
There is only one city called Eskisehir has the mines for Meers. Meerschaum pipes are so popular, but mainly they're manufacturing oriental styles with heads or dragons etc. But I don't recommend you the carved ones or any other design. As the stone (meers) is natural sometimes there would be faults. And the designer covers the faults while they're giving the design on the pipe. So, the best one is highpolish plain pipe where you can see the stone as it is.
In the picture, the guy who is smoking the meerschaum pipe is the president and the founder of the club. He is a real meerschaum lover.
Your meerschaum, where did you buy it? 'Cause I have another information for you; some manufacturers use the meers powder to make a meerschaum pipe. Because the root meers are expensive and they take the powders they compress them like a stone. But it doesn't give the same taste as the root meerschaum pipes. And they're so weak, could be breakable so easy. On my next trip to Athens, I'll try to bring with me couple of pipes to show you the difference of meershaums. And we'll have a long conversation...

Thanx for the useful info, Cihan. My meer is a small paykoc, I bought online. The site stated it's made from block meerschaum. So far it colors nicely (I've read that the pipes made from pressed meerschaum do not color nicely and evenly). The only thing that bothers me is that it's too small. The next one will be bgger. By the way, any suggestions (carvers, companies, etc)?

It would be great to meet you and discuss about meers. I really want to learn more about them. Till then, smoke in peace.

constantinipolis_smoker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you brothers for the nice posts, I 'm sure you have also nice pipes in your collection. I already have the link (thank you George) I'll check all of them tonight.

I like the autographs too, eventhough mines are rustic finished they have excellent taste, I can't imagine the polished types with the perfect briar. I'll post another topic about Sahin, I have lots of things to tell about them. also I've already found the Dunhill I want, next step is to find the money to buy it Very Happy

Dear Demetres, if the meerschaum you get made from a block piece don't even think about it. Ofcourse the designer/carver so important, there are couple of companies in Turkey but they don't produce themselves. They find the carver, they get the products from him, then they put the company logo or name on to the pipe. The best carves in Meerschaum pipes is Kudret Gezer. He is realy a master about meerschaum pipes, and there is no other carver like him. I've been waiting for the last 6 months to get a pipe from him. There is also one company who has high quality meerschaums called Altınay. If you are not in rush let's talk about this on my next trip to Athens.
constantinipolis_smoker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would like to ask you if you can offer me a tobacco shop who has a big collection of tobaccos. I only know couple of them and already bought something. One of them is Miamis on the square, other one is has just opened near tho Mitropoleos. But neither of them has the tobaccos I'm looking for. Before I come here I've ordered from Denmark but it takes 3-4 days to receive. As I'm leaving on Saturday morning I would like to buy something else.
Demetres

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be happy to have a coffee with you and chat about pipes and baccy. Whenever you come and have some spare time, shoot me an email or pm me. Meanwhile, I'll google the names you mentioned (just to spend some time drooling on my keyboard Wink ).

Smoke in peace, Cihan.

Demetres

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm sent. By the way, cool collection. I especially like that blasted Sav (11).

constantinipolis_smoker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demetres wrote:
I'll be happy to have a coffee with you and chat about pipes and baccy. Whenever you come and have some spare time, shoot me an email or pm me. Meanwhile, I'll google the names you mentioned (just to spend some time drooling on my keyboard Wink ).

Smoke in peace, Cihan.

I really like to have a coffee with you too, next time before I come here I'll let you know maybe we can arrange a meeting all together. If you need additional info about the names just let me know.

Autograph pipes are so special for me, when I find a new online store or a tobacco shop the first thing I ask is an Autograph pipe...Smile

Actually until this time, I used to hesitate to bring my favorites here. I was just bringing the falcon type. But next time I'll have really nice brothers to smoke with. So I have to bring couple of good pipes.
constantinipolis_smoker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

As I can see from the photos in the forum Kodikos has a meerschaum pipe as well. This is the brand I was telling you: ALTINAY. It looks like a good quality pipe as far as I can see from the color changes. Actually Altinay never uses the powders, they only use block meerschaums.
SMOKETSES

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello my friend Cihan

http://smoketses.blogspot.com
SMOKETSES

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

çok teşekkür ederim Cihan

http://smoketses.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    pipeclub.gr Forum Index -> Our friend clubs All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: